Friday, February 16, 2007

Cars

As some of you may know, I am in charge of our Household's cars here in Allendale - that means oil changes and standard maintanence/repairs. When looking at our grouping of vehicles, one might say that I wasn't given a ton to work with. Our newest car is a 1997 with over 80,000 miles on it and our oldest car has nearly 200,000 miles on it. I must admit though that despite my griping, I have come to appreciate each of our cars. They each have their own unique personality. Their "special needs" have become endearing qualities in my eyes. For instance, I have come to enjoy that the Toyota Truck has no side view mirror and the driver must either climb through the window or across the cab to get to the steering wheel since the driver's side door won't open. And I find humor with the fact that the Intrepid's seat no longer adjusts - which means that I have difficulty seeing over the dashboard, but Josh (6'4'') is pretty comfortable.
The other day, Cathy had the idea of signing all of us up for AAA. At the time, it seemed like a relatively wise decision; but now, it's proven to be pure genius.
Last night, Josh was driving me home from Portico Pediatrics in our Nissan Maxima and suddenly the car was no longer moving forward, instead it was jerking to a halt. We were able to call AAA, and they towed us away. Meanwhile, our Honda Civic had been stalled on our parking pad - it too needed a tow. Therefore, we now have two cars in the shop. Funnily enough, these two cars were two of the three that have working air conditioners.
Anyway, I want to thank God for the joys of life together...now we can carpool more, we can rely on one another more, and we can expect the Lord to continue to provide. I also want to praise him that we got AAA just in the knick of time, and for the fire He put under us as we begin looking to purchase a household van. Come Lord!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hi, Liz!
I'm in charge of our three household cars--also fairly old. Perhaps someday I'll grow to love them too. Do you have a routine car maintenance checklist of some sort that you could share? Check oil, fluids, tire, etc.?
Also, does each person have a key to each car, or do you share the keys?
Thanks!
-Chris Meehan

Liz said...

Hey Chris,
Good to hear from you! I do have a checklist of maintenance schedules and such. I actually got it from the sisterhood. They are extremely wise when it comes to cars in common...actually, they are wise when it comes to most everything!
Here in the Allendale Household, we have two sets of keys to every car. In the guys house (1442 Yale Ave), we have a specific key drawer and in the gals house (1446), there are several key hooks. So when a one drives a car, one simply takes the key from the hooks/drawer and returns it as soon as one comes back!